Chlorine Taste and Smell

Why does my water taste or smell like chlorine?

Chlorine is added during water treatment to disinfectant and kill harmful bacteria and has been used to treat water for over 100 years. Some people though are more sensitive to the taste or smell and prefer to have it filtered out.

Common signs the Chlorine in my water is too high.

Common issues include... Chlorine smell and tastes, dry skin, faded clothes, dry-rot of rubber in appliances. When water has too much chlorine, it can cause skin irritation and hair to become brittle or damaged. It can also fade-out and bleach hair coloring rather quickly. Central PA Soft Water can install a water purification system in your home to resolve these issues.

strong water chlorine taste and smell

Is having too much Chlorine in my water harmful?

Chlorine is a chemical which comes in several forms and is used to disinfect water in municipal treatment plants and swimming pools. Chlorine is a pungent smelling gas known to irritate the nasal passages, but this chemical works effectively to destroy pathogens found in water to reduce the risks of waterborne diseases such as typhoid, viral hepatitis, cholera, salmonellosis, Escherichia coli, etc.  However, chlorine can cause many health problems, including certain types of cancer. It is commonly added either as compressed chlorine gas or liquid sodium hypochlorite solution or calcium hypochlorite in powder form.

If you think you may be experiencing a respiratory sensitivity to chlorine, consider the following symptoms, especially after showering or bathing:

  • Consistent cough that seems to worsen

  • Runny nose

  • Shortness of breath

  • Wheezing

  • Chest tightness or pain

Contact us today for an instant free water test and let the experts at Central PA Soft Water help keep your water clean.