top of page

UV Light Disinfection

Ultraviolet disinfection of drinking water.

A number of water treatment systems can be used to remove microbiological contaminants that may cause illness such as ultraviolet light technology (UV), chlorine, chloramine and ozone. UV light is part of natural sunlight and cannot be seen. UV light is a physical, chemical-free process unlike chlorine and ozone that does not leave any residual.

Water obtained from natural sources such as dams, streams, wells and rainwater tanks may contain microorganisms that can pose a risk to your health. The Department of Health recommends that all naturally sourced water should be professionally tested and treated before it is used for drinking, bathing, filling swimming pools, food preparation or cooking. If your water source comes from a public municipal system, you usually don’t have to worry about bacteria and viruses, but even the most high-end, state-of-the-art treatment plants cannot ensure that drinking water is entirely free of microbial pathogens.

Most common bacteria and virus pathogens that can infect water, causing serious gastrointestinal sickness such as diarrhea, cramping, nausea, and other health problems such as pneumonia, urinary tract infections, and flu-like symptoms include: Giardia lamblia, Cryptosporidia, Escherichia coli, Salmonella, Vibrio cholerae, and many more.

Ultra Violet (UV) light disinfection is one water treatment system that can be used to remove most forms of microbiological contamination from water. When UV light enters a microorganism, its energy will damage the microorganism’s cellular function and DNA so that it will not be able to grow or reproduce and is very effective and instantaneous in doing so.

uv light water disinfection

Contact us today for an instant free water test and let the experts at Central PA Soft Water help keep your water clean.

bottom of page